About The Club
Established in 1872 by a group of eminent Eastbourne residents and regular visitors as the"Devonshire Club, Eastbourne Ltd" by an issue of shares with the then Duke of Devonshire taking a substantial number and honoring them by becoming the first President of the Club. The share issue was so successful that they proceeded to build the club at Grand Parade, corner of Burlington Place.
In a report in the Eastbourne Herald in July, 1873 the Duke expressed himself "in high approval of the arrangements and general character of the building".
The Club was officially opened on 6th August, 1873 with an entrance fee of 1 Guinea and a subscription of 3 Guineas (at today's rates this would be equivalent to about £73 and £219 respectively - more than double todays fees!
At some stage the Club moved to a "Colonial type Bungalow" situated on the seafront and, we are told that "a telescope was permanently pointed at the beach!" The property has since been replaced by the block of flats called Clive Court.
In 1965 the club aquired the classical YWCA building in Hartington Place, almost opposite the Esperance Hospital. Later, in conjunction with Walter Llewellyn & Sons it was decided to demolish the building and create Westown House, providing the current club on the ground floor, with residential units above. The Llewellyn family, having been members for many years agreed to time the completion of the new club in time for it's Centenary in 1972. The current Duke of Devonshire is the President of the Club today.
The lounge is often used for smaller private functions and may be hired for such events. The lounge is also used by members of the Devonshire Bridge Club twice a week (a private bridge club using our facilities, which members are free to apply to join).